Friday, August 3, 2012

Teach Me How to Writ-ie

Teach me how to writ-ie
Teach me-Teach me how to writ-ie....

I'm a WRITING TEACHER! How on Earth did this happen?!  For some odd reason I decided to make my life a little harder and requested to teach writing this semester.  That equals heaps of extra work.. a.)I've never taught it before, so I have to make all new materials. b.)I am teaching 8 hours a day, so I'm stuck in the office lesson planning for 2.5 hours every day.  c.)I have to edit papers every day now.  d.)Was I crazy??

 I teach 2 back-to-back 80 minute classes of basic writing.  It's going SO well, at least I think so.  I'm thankful for having the opportunity and being able to put it on my resume!  I feel like I can see my students improving each day, which makes me thrilled.   I have one class who look SO miserable every time I walk into the room, that sometimes I tell them they make me want to jump out a window.  And YES, I DID say that, because I truly felt that way!  Can you imagine bouncing into a classroom with 13 students.. "Hey guys!!  How are we doing?"... and hardly anyone looking at you, zero expression on their faces, boring, miserable people...... it's painful.  They have their good days and they have their bad days.  Thankfully I share the class with another teacher who teaches them speaking for 80 minutes, and she has the same issues.  Thankfully they don't REALLY need any people skills to learn writing, I think I pulled the lucky stick on that one.

Also, thankfully I'm nice most of the time.. overly nice & up-beat.. so I don't feel bad one bit yelling at them.  WRIIIIIITE!!!  :::snap the whip:::

No comments:

Post a Comment