Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Stuck in the Middle of a Buddhist Ritual

Rut-Row!

What happens when curiosity gets the best of you?!


You get stuck in the corner of a room while 15 men are bowing continuously... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25... oh no... 26, 27, 28... I hope my friends don't leave me... 29, 30, 31... how did I get myself into this?!

Easy explanation, while hiking up Moaksan with my friends, there was a small temple about half way up the mountain. At this temple I wandered around while my friends sat and rested, I got snoopy and walked into one of the buildings.. then a whole bunch of men came in, one tells me to sit, as he could see that I was seriously curious, and I ended up sitting in the worst place possible.. in the corner farthest away from the door!!!

It was SO calming though, and quite relaxing.. I just sat there in awe at their dedication/rituals.. they were all extremely serious, and just.. in a trance of sorts! I liked it until I realized that they're probably going to bow 100+ times.. and then I figured when I left, my friends would be at the top of the mountain already! Luckily, I got to sneak out... side-step, bow, side-step, bow, side-step, bow... and eventually, I reached the door without accidentally touching anyone or making too much noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment