Saturday, May 29, 2010

Relaxation

I just had one of the most relaxing days so far in Korea. I woke up early, showered, got ready and headed downtown. The weather today was more than gorgeous. The shade was nice and cool, the sunny parts nice and hot. I started off by heading to a phone store to buy a new phone (I lost mine the other weekend in Ulsan). I stopped by two stores before I found cell phone heaven. Three people in the store spoke broken English.. and I was more than thrilled. This is very rare, and it was just so relaxing and not as stressful as I thought it would be. I ended up getting an awesome phone, way cooler than my last AND its pre-paid.. so we'll see if it ends up being any cheaper :). One less bill, holler! Well that was a surprising success. Then, I ventured to the market. I found some super nice fabric to lay on at the beach and a super cool gift for my dad for father's day! The fabric man was SO nice... I spoke no Korean and he spoke no English, yet we bonded in this sweet way. He lowered his prices and gave me awesome service! And the super cool thing, is when they cut the fabric for you (at least at this place, they always have) they rip it with their hands, rather than using scissors.. and it is in a super straight line! It's pretty awesome! I went to my favorite smoothie place, basically a $1.25 for AMAZING fresh fruit smoothies! To die for!! I decided I was ready to lay down, eat lunch and read a good book! I went and got some Kim Bop rolls (like sushi, minus the raw fish) and headed to Jinju Castle (an awesome temple right downtown on the river!). The castle has a lot of green grass, huge trees, awesome architecture and amazing music. I read a new book I just bought, The Alchemis (fabs, so far) and laid on the green grass with my new blanket, looking over the river. It was so peaceful and serene. The most pleasant part, was reading my book and hearing the huge drum near one of the entrances being beat.. I felt like I was back in the old days with monks roaming everywhere. There were plenty of people roaming around and enjoying the gorgeous day though. As I was leaving the temple, I heard some music and decided to check it out. A traditional Korean dance was going on, and the women were GOREGOUS. Following, was traditional music. Four women and a man played sanjo gayageums (a traditional Korean string instrument) while a beautiful woman dressed in yellow, played the drum.. this was the first live instrument performance I had seen and it was awesome! Nothing like being at the right place at the right time!

No comments:

Post a Comment