Friday, September 16, 2011

A World Without Adoption

Can you imagine a world without adoption?

I know I would be minus a few amazing friends, many families would be 'missing' something in their hearts, and I think it would feel quite... lonely!

Think of all of the 'adopted' family you have in your life today... I know I personally have 'adopted' sisters, an 'adopted' grandmother who used to cook lunches at my old Korean Kindergarten, and the list goes on and on! I am so thankful for each and everyone of them, and I know that had life turned out differently & I somehow ended up adopted into their family, I would be loved!

Isn't that what we all want? Even if some people seem like they only want money, or things, or beauty.. they still all want LOVE!

I had a seriously mind-boggling conversation with my professors class today, which got me to thinking about all of this. I introduced the concept of a 'Cup of Conversation' today, to ensure that everyone had a chance to talk in the discussions (some are quite shy about voicing their opinion), each professor went around.. said their question, and gave their answer/explanation.

When it was one professor's turn to speak, he looked at me and said, "This is a very elementary question."

I'm thinking... uh oh... "Okay, go ahead." :::smile:::

"What makes a family, genetics or environment? :::huff of air::: A brother is genetic!"



Well, okay. How do you respond to that? "Alright, so this topic is about abortion. Is this a very popular thing in Korea?"

The general idea was that no, it wasn't popular.. but it did happen.. and when it did happen, kids were often never told that they were adopted. One of the other professor's friends had adopted a child.. he is 12 now, and she is afraid to tell him that he is adopted, especially this late on.

So we discussed the popularity of adoption in the USA, and how kids are generally told at a younger age, and often given the option of whether to meet their birth parents or not. I told them that I have friends who never plan on meeting their birth parents, and others who have met their birth parents... some whose birth parents are actually Korean, living in Korea!

The conversation just broke my heart a bit, I'm afraid to bring up other topics like .. I dunno, donating organs and environmental protection.


No comments:

Post a Comment